11th to 14th weeks of pregnancy (ninth to 12th week of gestation)
- The liver produces red blood cells.
- Facial features are well-developed.
- The baby can clench the fists.
- Tooth buds start their development.
- The baby will close the eyes and will not reopen until 28 weeks.
- The genitals can be differentiated.
- The baby has long and thin limbs.
- The size of the head is about half of the baby.
15th to 18th weeks of pregnancy (13th to 16th week of gestation)
- The baby moves actively.
- Fine ‘lanugo hair’ appears on the scalp.
- The gastrointestinal tract forms the earliest stools (meconium.)
- The bones and muscles develop gradually.
- The pancreas and the liver make secretions.
- The skin is transparent at this stage.
- The baby can make sucking movements.
19th to 21st weeks of pregnancy (17th to 19th week of gestation)
- The baby moves more actively and can hear sounds.
- The mother can feel wavelike motion in the lower abdomen.
22nd week of pregnancy (20th week of gestation)
- Eyebrows, eyelashes, Finger nails and toe nails appear.
- Gradual muscle development helps the baby move more actively.
- The mother can feel the movements of the baby.
- Fine ‘lanugo hair’ appears over the entire body.
- The baby’s heartbeat can be detected by auscultation.
About Pregnancy: Symptoms and Diagnosis of Pregnancy
About Pregnancy: How a Baby Is Conceived?
About Pregnancy: How to Manage Your Weight?
About Pregnancy: Benefits of Exercise During Pregnancy and Cautions
About Pregnancy: Pregnancy by Weeks - Part 1
About Pregnancy: Pregnancy by Weeks – Part 2
About Pregnancy: Pregnancy by Weeks – Part 3
About Pregnancy: Pregnancy by Weeks – Part 4